Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2016

On the Move

Last week I had a Skype interview for a job in Miami.  The next day, I was called for a second interview.  The company wanted me to come in person.  This was exciting and a little nerve wrecking at the same time.

Thursday, I scheduled a hair appointment and Friday night, I was buying an overnight bag at Target.  Shopping for lugguage can be challenging. Is the bag too big or too small?  Will I be able to fit my stuff in it?  And by Saturday night, I was packed and ready to head to Miami.

The only time I traveled alone was between Soth Carolina and Arkansas.  Everything went smoothly between Little Rock and Miami.  I checked in, had dinner, and made a few phone calls before going to bed. 

The next morning I went downstairs to the coffee shop after checking out.  Afterwards, I took an Uber to the interview.  I was given a tour and met the staff.  After I was done, it was time to go back to the airport.

When I was checking in and getting ready to go through security, someone asked me if I was traveling by myself.  "Yes," I nodded. 

It amazes me that there are some people out there who believe that blind/visually impaired people can't do ANYTHING for themselves.  Well, you are wrong.

I have been asked the following questions:  Do you dress yourself?  Do you pick out your own clothes?  Do you use a special computer?   And so on and so on.  I know people think that we are probably crazy for traveling solo but it can be done.  Thanks to airport assistance, I was able to get to my gate on time.

Everything was fine Monday afternoon until I arrived in Charlotte.  My flight was late getting to Charlotte and therefore I missed my connecting flight to Little Rock.  One of the staff members tried to get me there as fast as he could, but it was too late. 

I had to spend six hours in the airport.  The time passed somewhat fast than expected.  I had dinner at Burger King, and later went to Starbucks.  I listened to music, talked on the phone, and read a book that was on my tablet.  Before I knew it, it was finally time to board the plane.

I got home around 12:30 and it didn't take me long to fall asleep. I managed to get back up at six in the morning. 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment