Pages

Friday, January 2, 2015

Looking Ahead for 2015

So it is a new year which means a new start.  This is when people make new year resolutions.  I don't make resolutions because they are usually forgotten.  

Last night, I signed up for the 2015 Reading Challenge on Goodreads.  I set a goal to read 75 books.  That's a lot.  For last year's challenge, I set out to read 50. I didn't think that I would complete the challenge but I did thanks to some short ebooks and audiobooks.  I still have some books from last summer that I haven't read yet.  I am looking forward to new books by Sarah Dessen and Susane Colasanti.

I am also looking forward to Monday because that's when Taking on the Writing World will be for sale on Smashwords.  Ten people have already downloaded samples.  Ten is not a big number but it is more than the downloads I received for the other books within the first few weeks.  I even purchased my own book on Amazon.  At first, it was strange but I am glad that I did because I found some typos-some serious typos.  Also there were things that looked odd after the conversion.  So I fixed the typos and resubmitted it.  (I was the only person who purchased it on Amazon so far, so I don't feel as embarrassed).

There are goals that I have set for myself.  The biggest thing is getting healthier and taking better care of myself.  Last year, I lost 20 pounds after going on a strict diet.  I realized that I don't need junk food or soda the way I think I do.  Although I am back to eating normally, I grab an apple or orange for a snack instead of a fist full of cookies or a big bowl of ice cream.  Also, I am drinking more water.  I have discovered that I can't drink soda like I use to because my feet will swell up.  So here and there I will have a soda, sweets, and chips to get it out my system.  If I have a craving I might as well get it over with, but not over do it.  My goal is to drop 20-30 more pounds.  I would like to get down to 140lbs.  I haven't seen that since high school. 

There are other things that need to happen this year.  For instance, I really need to find a day job and get my own place.  I have applied for a job training program out of state.  In the meanwhile, I could really use more freelance work and writing gigs.  I don't want to do content mills anymore because you work your butt just to get a few dollars.  Five years ago, I use to sign up for those sites in a heart beat, but now I think twice.  I don't think reputable publications respect these type of sites. 

I don't like to get too personal on the blog.  However, as a 30 something I feel like something is missing.  In other words, lately I have been having the feeling left behind feeling.  When I look at my Facebook news feed I watch as my "friends" post pictures of their mates and children.  Others have started great careers.  And what about me?  I am a struggling writer who still lives at home.  I am looked at as lazy, full of excuses, and don't want to do anything.  I have put in over a thousand resumes.  Since I left the health center back in August, I have sent in a number of resumes and applications.  No one has called.  No interview offers.  However, I have received a few rejection emails-sorry we have chosen another candidate. The same old same. Some will think that I am looking for a pity party. That's not the case, but you are entitled to your own opinion.  I have even considered the self employment route.  I was told that I would have to write a business plan.  I have written 21 pages so far and it took me three months to write that much, and I haven't gotten to the numbers (balance sheets, income statements, how much money I need etc.)  The person who is suppose to be helping with this has went MIA.  So now what?  Should I go back to school?  Should I find another person who will help me start a business?  I have considered learning how to make jewelery and start an Etsy shop.  Another thing I considered is tackling  a novel again.   I know that big money and readership won't roll in overnight.

With all of that said, here's to a new year.  

o


No comments:

Post a Comment