Pages

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Book Review: I Heart Band by Michelle Schusterman

Goodreads says:



Holly Mead’s first day of seventh grade isn’t going as planned. Her brother ruins her carefully chosen outfit, she’s almost late, and her new band director has some surprisingly strict rules. Worst of all, it seems like her best friend, Julia, has replaced her with Natasha, the pretty, smart, new French horn player! Holly is determined to get first chair, but Natasha is turning out to be some pretty stiff competition—and not just in band. Band might be a competition, but friendship isn’t—and Holly needs to figure it out before she loses Julia for good.

I normally don't read middle grade fiction and I haven't read it since middle school which was 20 years ago.  However, the main reason why I purchased and wanted to read I HEART BAND was because Michelle Schusterman use to be a contributing writer at Suite101.com, the online magazine I use to write for.. Since she is a former member of the Suite community, I wanted to show her my support.

I don't consider myself a band geek because I only lasted one year.  I played the clarinet and I was horrible. I couldn't play, I couldn't read the music, and my brother who was two at the time made fun of me.  In some ways I could relate to the characters.  I don't know how I even passed the class.  I was given A's or B's for effort I suppose.

Apparently I have forgotten about all of the drama that middle schoolers carry.

Holly is unhappy when her best friend Julia returns to school with Natasha-her new friend in which she met at camp over the summer.  Holly doesn't like Natasha and she shows every chance she gets. The saddest and most immature thing that Holly does is empty spit from her french horn valve on Natasha's shoes.  Rally Holly? Really?

Here's a spoiler alert: the girls work through issues and become friends.

To be honest, I wasn't to crazy about the book; maybe because the characters are so young.  Also, I probably won't read and or shell out cash for the rest of the series.  However, I will give Michelle Schusterman a BIG thumbs up for the authenticity of the story (e.g. what it's like to be in band, etc.) Also, she does a good job of capturing the world of middle school.

It's hard for me to brutally honest at times.  I am always looking for positive things to say about books.  With that said I will give I HEART BAND 3 out of 5 stars.

3 out of 5 stars
Personal digital copy purchased from Barnes N Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment