Pages

Friday, December 5, 2014

Coming January 5, 2015

Guess what?  I have finished the final edits for Taking on the Writing  World: The Ups and Downs of the Writing Life.  It is scheduled for release for January 5, 2015 on Amazon and Smashwoords.


I'm so excited.  As eager as I was to put the ebook out there immediately, I knew that I needed to take my time.  First impressions make lasting impressions, so there was no time for sloppiness. So here is an excerpt from the book.  Enjoy!

Escerpt:



When I decided to send out my children’s story to magazines, it was rejected.  I know now that rejection is the norm for writers who want to get published.  However, I was tired of it.  I felt like my writing was worthless and I was wasting my time.  I began to believe Ms. M who said that it didn’t have what it takes to be writer and I was proving her right.
     
I was tired of being turned down because my stories didn’t fit in with the publications I wanted to publish them in.  Thanks to contest scams, I feared that my work might get stolen.  So what do you do in these situations?  Give up altogether?  Let the nay sayers win?  Or do you find another path?
     
As a person, I know that I don’t fit in.  I stand out from the crowd rather I like it or not.  I didn’t fit in at school or at work.  The fact has proven true for my writing.  Big Brother, Little Sister didn’t fit in any children’s magazine.  Also, my unfinished novel didn’t exactly fit into the young adult category because my main character was 22 years old and out of high school.  I came to the realization that it was time for me to pull up my boot straps and face my fears.  I have also learned that I needed to have thick skin in order to make it in this business.  I needed determination, drive, and discipline to continue in the fight to publish my stories.

Is there a place where writers can publish their stories that just don’t fit in with the current trends of the market?  Thanks to self-publishing companies like Create Space, Smashwords, Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing, Book Baby, and others, authors can publish their stories that would probably still be stored away on flash drives, discs, hard drives, and clouds. 

In October 2011, I created an account on Smashwords.  I primarily opened the account so I could download books from the site.  It took me two years to be brave enough to self–publish short stories.  I decided that this would be an experiment to see if anyone would want to read my work.   I had a few short stories and flash fiction pieces that I wrote for Helium.  I decided to clean them up and publish them as a short story collection titled, The Stories We Tell When Drinking Coffee: A Collection Short Stories and Flash Fiction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment