Pages

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

30 Week Writing Survey: Week 9- How do you get ideas for your characters? Describe the process of creating them.

How do I come up with ideas for my characters or stories?  My ideas are snippets of real life situations including my own.  Other ideas come from things I see on TV, books, etc.  For instance my short story, Big Brother, Little Sister was based on a segment on Reading Rainbow.  I couldn't think of a story to write for my first writing assignment for a writing course.  I had to write a story based on a selection of pictures.  One of the pictures featured teddy bears.  So, I was watching Reading Rainbow, and there was a little boy who felt left out because his new baby sister was getting all of the attention; and that's how the story came about.

When I am out and about, I try to observe and look for ideas that I can work with later.  I probably should have an ideas notebook with me to write down these observations, because I don't always remember them.

No comments:

Post a Comment