Pages

Saturday, May 17, 2014

30 Week Writing Survey: Week 7-Do you listen to music while you write? What kind? Are there any songs you like to relate/apply to your characters?

I usually don't listen to music while I write because I am easily distracted.  However, there have been a few times when I have played music while working. For instance, I have worked on product reviews while listening to music.  Since I was just looking up facts about the company and their products and services, listening to music didn't interrupt my productivity.  I will leave the music off if I am doing heavy writing-organizing my thoughts, rearranging sentences, and editing.

These days, I try to listen to different types of music.  I have a mix of R&B, Pop, Dance, KPop, and other random songs from different genres downloaded on my computer.  Sometimes, I will listen to iTunes Radio. Right now, I typically listen to the 80's Dance Party station or 80's R&B Soul Radio.  Lately, I have been trying out the alternative station.  I keep the volume on a low level so it doesn't distract me from working.

When writing fiction, I often think of songs that may fit the character and or a particular scene in a story.  For instance, a particular unfinished project, I think that some of Adele's songs would be fitting for my main character because of the heartache she experiences.

Some of my favorite authors like Susane Colasanti and Sarah Dessen have put together playlists for their books.  I think that this is really cool.  When I read books by other authors I often think, if this book had a soundtrack, what would be on it?  As I read, I would think of songs that would be on that soundtrack.

What would be on your book playlist?

No comments:

Post a Comment