Pages

Sunday, May 25, 2014

30 Week Writing Survey: Week 11-Who is your favorite character to write? Least favorite?

At this point in my writing, I find it easier to write characters who are young adults.  I find it harder to write characters who are older and married.  Why?  I'm single and never been married, so I am clueless when it comes to marriage. My knowledge of marriage is limited to my parents, what I read, and what I see.  The entertainment world is not always the best source for information.

I can remember what it is like to be the awkward person at school, what it is like to not have real friends, and other adventures or misadventures of high school.  (Although, some of those memories are fading).  Now, I feel confident enough to write about being a 20 something who struggles to find work after college, or find their place in life.  I can talk about what it feels like when friends, associates, and even family members get married before you, and you are left wondering, will anyone ever be interested in me, will I ever get married, or turn into a spinster?  (Now there's a word that I don't hear too often).  Experiencing different stages in life helps me to write certain characters in a way that is realistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment