Pages

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

30 Week Writing Survey: Week 1-Tell us about your favorite writing project/universe that you've worked with and why

Since I was able to keep up with the 30 Week Blog Challenge for the most part, I decided to do the 30 Week Writing Survey.  After all, this blog is supposed to be about writing anyway. So here it goes.

1. Tell us about your favorite writing project/universe that you've worked with and why.

I have always wanted to be a fiction writer.  I reached a point where I felt that my fiction wasn't good enough to be published.  In 2005, I decided to take a course from the Institute of Children's Literature.  The course focused on writing fiction and non fiction  for children and teenagers.  I thought that I was ready for the big leagues-publication.  So I decided that I would publish one of my stories.   

I sent it to several magazines and was rejected by every single one of them. So I stopped writing fiction and stopped trying to send stories and queries out to publications.  It's sad I know, but I was in school at the time, so I didn't have the time to devote to my writing.

Fast forward to 2009-2010, I started writing nonfiction content for the web.  In 2011, I started writing for a website called Knoji.com formerly Factoidz.  I started out writing fact based articles for them.  In 2012, I was introduced to product reviews.  

Writing product reviews became my favorite project because I was finally writing about something that people cared about-saving money at their favorite stores.  I was given bullet points to focus on while doing research so I didn't have to come up with everything from scratch.  

It was fun doing research and discovering stores and services that I never heard of before.  I was fascinated by how many followers each company had on social media channels like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc. I know many people complain about the uselessness of social media, but businesses heavily rely on social media to promote their products and services.

I felt that I found my niche, and I received more traffic and followers for my product reviews than my non fiction articles around the web.  As an added bonus, I earned more money for my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment