Pages

Friday, January 17, 2014

The Friday Five


  1. One of my goals is to take better care of myself by exercising more and eating healthier snacks. Instead of loading up on sugary treats, I have been purchasing granola bars, yogurt covered raisins, craisins (which are awesome), etc.  Well, one day, I went into the store and bought jolly ranchers and peach rings.  I know they aren't healthy choices. Yes, I know this change is going to take some time and more effort.  When I got home, I put the jolly ranchers into the candy dish and ate the peach rings. I felt slightly guilty about my impulse buying decision.  There was a time when I would load up on candy. I often wonder what the cashiers thought of my purchases.  I guess they don't have time to concern themselves with what people choose to buy.
  2. I have been reading Roomies by Sara Zarr and Tara Altebrando.  It has been a good book so far, and a book that I will keep around to read again.  I have three other books to read and that will probably take me to the end of spring at the latest.  I will post a review on my book review blog, so stay tuned.
  3. I was reading a post on Suite101.com called This is How She Tells Me to Check the Mail.  It is a story about how two sisters communicate through text-even in the house.  Her sister asks via text if the postman (mail man) came.  After reading this story, I once again asked the question that I have been wondering about for the last five years-is technology making us lazy?  I have had incidents where my brother would text me from his room down the hallway.  To me this is crazy because he could have just gotten up or hollered down the hallway.  I shared this story on social media and I seriously doubt that anyone paid this story any attention.  I do my share of texting, but sometimes I miss the days of talking on the phone and writing letters.  I sometimes long for that. I embraced social media and texting because I reached a point where people wouldn't answer their phones, but I could find them online or just quickly type out a text. It seems that "typing" has replaced "talking."  Maybe my mom is right, "If you can't call or talk to me, then we aren't friends."  Maybe I should put my foot down and nicely say, you know you can call me from time to time, I'm not busy."  There have been times when I try to call people and a few minutes later they text me.  What was the point in the first place?
  4. Last month, I was promoted to consumer guide writer.  This was exciting, I was happy to be writing again, but I have been snubbed again.  For the past two weeks, there have been no assignments.  I check in several times a day, and the assignment board is blank.  There are no product review assignments to fall back on.  I wrote the editors to see what is going on. They said that product review assignments have been "paused."  That's just great I thought, AND now there are no consumer guide assignments.  Things have been shaky at this site.  Since December, they have promoted writers to consumer guide status, but they don't have enough assignments for everyone.  It seems that if you don't check in at the right time, you snooze you lose.  So I don't know how much longer I can put up with this roller coaster ride.  Things tend to happen on a three month basis.  In June, I wrote my last product review, my pay rate went ridiculously down, and assignments were gone.  In September, I was selected to write fashion related articles for their writing project.  In December, I was able to write consumer guides.  So what's going to happen in March, huh?
  5. With everything I wrote about in #4, I need to write more stories.  I bought an ebook of writing prompts to get my brain going, to get creative again. The other day, my brother was like stop freelancing, and write for yourself and stop writing for other people.  I need to be more confident in my fiction writing, I really do.  When I put my short stories on Smashwords, no one would buy them even at the lowest price.  I began to feel that my work was a joke so I decided to offer them for free. I got more downloads through the price of free.  Last week, I decided no more free.  I'm not in this to make money because I know that I am not going to be rich.  At some point, I can't continue to give my hard work away for free.  Yes, I have to WORK to get to where I want to be. In this business, writers will struggle.  I am often times labeled as a sucker.  So, am I a sucker to offer my stories for free or to work for pennies on a dollar?  I have been posting articles on Bubblews.  I have 25 posts and made $7.00 so far. So this is where the sucker part comes in.  Writing for them feels like writing for Helium.  Bubblews just raised their payout requirement to $50.  How long is it going to take for me to make $50?  The next two years?  I am tired of writing for revenue share sites.
Sorry for the rant.  Have a good weekend everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment