Pages

Monday, January 20, 2014

30 Week Blog Challenge Week 20- A Hobby of Yours

Often times, I am asked, "do you have a hobby?"  Hands down, I will have to say that my hobby is reading.



I have been an avid reader since childhood. It basically started when my class would go to the library to check out books and watch film strips.  (Yes, film strips, this was before VHS tapes, and long before DVDs).  I started off with books on tape and a very large brown tape recorder. I would sit in my room and listen.

I was given the Dick, Jane, and Spot books to read in large print. (I don't know the correct title).  Soon, I was tired of reading them.

As time went by, I actually looked forward to going to the library.  By middle school, going to the library wasn't required unless it was for a project.  And thanks to magnifiers, I could read any book I wanted.

My love for reading continued through high school. When I started college, I no longer had time to read for leisure since all of my time was taken by reading textbooks. I realized that I missed reading for fun. In 2005, I got back into reading again when I started reading the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series. I started reading again for leisure when I had the time.

After graduating college, I started reading heavily. I needed a distraction from the challenges of trying to find a job.  Since I don't really have anyone to talk to about what I am reading, I started my book review blog, YA Books Etc.  

I like to visit my local library and bookstore from time to time.  It is nice to be able to look at books in person. Searching online for books is great, but it is different.  I also joined Goodreads to keep track of books I've read, and discover new ones.



No comments:

Post a Comment