Pages

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

30 Week Blog Challenge Week 19: A Fun Memory

This week's blog challenge is to share a fun memory.

I had to give this topic some thought.

Fourth grade was a very memorable year.  It was the year when I was determined to really start getting into music-knowing the titles and artists of popular songs. I knew a few artists and whatever my parents played at home. But I quickly learned that wasn't enough.  My classmates seemed so far ahead of me.  I started watching music videos. Hey, it was the 90's and music videos were in heavy rotation on BET and MTV.

The fourth grade was the early days when I wasn't fitting in with my classmates-I was different from various reasons.  My grandmother bought me a Barney back pack.  Seems appropriate for a 9-10 year, but it was the  BIGGEST joke to my classmates. Thankfully, I had other backpacks at home.

My teacher, Ms Florence did not like Snoop Dogg and Beavus and Butthead. And she made it known almost everyday.

Our class was pen pals with a class out in California.  My pen pal's name was Monica. We all exchanged pictures.  We only exchanged a few letters and I never knew her last name. I wondered what happened to her. She's probably married with children now like a lot of my classmates.

I did the pen pal thing a few times throughout my school years. In my sixth grade English class, we were connected with a class from Washington, DC.  I don't remember his name but he said that his classmates told him that he looked like Carlton Banks from the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.  There were no pictures so I had to go on my imagination.

In the 8th grade, I exchanged one letter with a guy from Austria.  I was taking German at the time.  So the entire letter was in German. I probably understood - I don't know 50% of the letter, so I was stunned that he said that he liked Al Bundy from Married with Children.

My biggest memory of fourth grade was when my class got busted. Let me explain.  See, I had a lot of class clowns in my class.  So every time my teacher left the room, my class would crack jokes on each other. One day, Ms. Florence was at the office, and little did we know, she was listening in on us through the PA system.  She was like, "I know what y'all are doing."  BUSTED.  Once, I call myself getting in on the comedy routine.  One day, I was taken out into the hallway with some other students by my teacher. That was the end of that.


No comments:

Post a Comment