Pages

Thursday, December 12, 2013

The Writing Life and Other Happenings



This blog is suppose to be about my writing life or-my so called writing life.  I feel like I should be giving advice on how to be a better writer. My focus has been writing online, the ups and downs of writing, and everything else in between.  Lately, I have been talking about everything else.

First and foremost, I have good news.  My application was FINALLY approved to be a consumer report guide writer at Knoji on Monday.  They offer assignments that pay $50-$200.  That sounds a whole lot better than the $4 per product review I was being paid between April and June.  However, when I checked the assignment board, there were no assignments. On Tuesday, a few assignments were posted and I grabbed one. These assignments go fast, so consumer guide writers have to check regularly and act fast.

The acceptance brightened up my day.  I have been feeling down lately and the weather here hasn't helped. It has been cloudy and rainy for a few days, but the sun finally came out yesterday.

I have been searching high and low for a day job for some time; and to be honest, it gets really depressing.  I regularly check job boards such as Indeed, Monster, Careerbuilder, etc.  I have even had an employment consultant to help me.  I have sent out a thousand resumes literally.  However I only get a few bites, lots of rejections, and negative feedback.

I'm not looking for a pity party, I am looking for a resolution. Since the summer, my writing career has hit a snag.  I barely had steady work since June, and a few special writing projects in September.  I felt unproductive within the last few months. I have been seeking out new places to write but I was either rejected or  haven't received a response.  I signed up for sites like Textbroker and Content Authority, but I didn't find a project that interest me.  I read an article on Monster that said if you apply for any and everything, you will receive more rejections and negative feedback.  I didn't use to do this, but I felt that others were viewing me as picky and didn't want to work.

Since Thanksgiving week, I have been having problems with my Internet connection.  It's crazy how we become so dependent on technology.  There were times when I felt anxious wondering if I missed an important email or missed a post from my favorite blogs.  That kind of sounds frivolous I know.  It was back up and running again Sunday afternoon, and within a few hours, I was caught up on most things. I even sent out a ton of resumes.

Last week, I decided to donate some books to the Anderson County Library's used bookstore.  The main branch has a used bookstore which sells books, CD's, and DVD's.  I figured that if I tried to sell to a used bookstore, I wouldn't get much for them.  Once, I tried to sell my clothes to a place called the Fashion Shack which sells used clothes or brand new clothes that stores can't sell. They wanted to give me a $1.50. I politely  told the clerk that I will take them back home.

The library staff was happy to receive the books.  I donated the following:

  • 3 Willows by Ann Brashares
  • Indigo Summer by Monica McKayhan
  • Friends Like Us by Lauren Fox
  • L.A. Candy by Lauren Conrad
  • Sweet Little Lies by Lauren Conrad
  • Sugar and Spice by Lauren Conrad
  • When It Happens by Susane Colasanti
I gave away books? Yes, I did and I know that it is shocking.  Some of the stories weren't what I expected. For instance, I wasn't that impressed with 3 Willows. I guess because the characters were much younger than the girls of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series, and their story lines weren't very interesting. I read the book twice, but became bored afterwards.  

I was annoyed by the characters in the L.A. Candy series.  You knew right away that Madison was a back stabbing two faced friend.  I felt that the series was a fictionalized version of The Hills.  Why did Jane put up with Jesse? 

Oh and here is one more.  In Friends Like Us by Lauren Fox, I was saddened by the fact how Willa slept with her best friend Jane's fiance.  I just can't imagine doing that a friend or anyone.  It just ruined the story for me.  There were funny moments in the book, but still I was disappointed that a friendship was ruined. I know that's life, get over it.  But still.....



I could go on and on about what I disliked about these books but that will take forever. I hope that the books will find a good home.

I finished my very first consumer report today. I turned it this morning, and when I checked my email this afternoon, an editor emails me and asked for a revision.  I only had to fix two parts and clean up some errors.  Other than that, they said that it was good.  I am happy to be writing and working again.






No comments:

Post a Comment