Pages

Friday, October 25, 2013

The Friday Roundup

I thought that I would not have much to write about this week until I got on the computer this morning. My morning routine includes checking my mail and checking for updates from my favorite blogs. On Fridays, I always head over to Sarah Dessen's blog.  Each Friday she posts the The Friday Five.  After today, The Friday Five will cease.  WHAT?  I might as well borrow a line from Kevin Hart and say, let me explain.

Today's entry was titled The Final Five and read differently from other entries.  As I began to read through the entry without looking at the title, I had this knowing feeling that this was a goodbye.  Sniffles, no Friday Five, what will I do for entertainment on Fridays? I know that this was a hard decision.

She said that it has become harder to keep up with blogging.  After all, in addition to writing books, she has a family to take care of.  I can totally understand where she is coming from. The biggest difference between Sarah and I is that I am not married and don't have children.  I should have ALL the time in the world. People think that I have loads of free time because I don't have a "real job" or much of a social life. My life is less hectic than my friends and acquaintances.  In reality, I can't spend all my time typing away on the computer. There is something called real life going on outside.  And in real life, household chores like laundry, dishes, etc. need to be done.

I write for two blogs, this one and my book review blog: YA Books Etc.  Last year, I had the bright idea to start a a third blog, Hidden Fashionista.  I had it all set up on Wordpress, but sadly it never launched.  In reality, I can only handle two blogs.  I have two book reviews I need to write and post to the book review blog, but I haven't got around to it.

At one point, I was MIA from this blog because of what was happening in real life and business was booming at Knoji.  I use to have the Flashback Fridays but after a few entries, I ran out of ideas.  The two most popular entries were The Carltion Dance and Spandau Ballet's True.  Then I had the Places to Shop series which sadly ended. First I thought it was going to move to the new non existant blog, and I was so busy with writing product reviews, I forgot about it.

I started reading Sarah Dessen's blog back in 2006.  I enjoyed keeping up with the latest happenings in her life like when new books were coming out or when she had her daughter Sasha Clementine.  Her blog inspired me to start my own blog. She use to post three times a week and then it went down to once a week. During the early years of following her blog, I use to stop at my college library or computer lab to read the blog. At one point, I use to read it on my phone. (This is before the surge in Smartphones). You are probably thinking seriously? I have been a faithful reader for seven years. So it is going to be hard to not see new entries every Friday. She said that she will post occasionally.  I suppose she could hire someone to write posts for her, but it wouldn't be the same

This makes me sad but I understand. It gets to a point where you have to take a hard look at your life and decide what's important and not so important.  I remember a few years ago, I use to play games on Facebook when I was bored, but I stopped when I started getting writing gigs.

Also another tug-a-war is the constant connection to the technology world.  I have been in an on again off again relationship with Facebook. I have a  Twitter account that I am barely active on, a LinkedIn account that I forget about, and Google+.  I use social media for personal and mainly for business use. (Although, my freelance writing business is not always taken seriously).

With that said, I have to wonder if technology has made us lazy in our communication. Are we forgetting how to communicate with each other?  I miss the days of writing and receiving letters and talking on the phone. Now, it seems like all people want to do is text and chit chat on social media. Don't get me wrong, texting and social media are great.  However, thoughts can get misunderstood through these form of communications.

I embrace other forms of communication through technology because I get tired of talking to voicemail on people's phone.  My parents disagree with solely communicating through texting and social media. They text when it is necessary and have zero interest in social media.  They might ask, "have you talked to (insert name here)" and I typically respond, "well, I or (inset person) texted.  Texting is not talking, and I have to agree it is not the same.  I hate constantly calling someone and they don't return my calls.  I feel like I am chasing them down. So that is why I have embraced other forms of communications.

When I was younger, I use to constantly call people until my number was blocked by a person from my past. Also, a few years ago, I had someone who finally told me, "I prefer emails and texts......I'm sure you understand."  From that moment on, I decided that I was not going to embarrass myself for a third time.  Now, when I meet people and exchange contact info, I ask them if they prefer email, text, or phone calls. And I respect their wishes.

Wow, I wasn't expecting to talk about communication. I think that this song sums it up.  Has communication let us down?

This song has been in heavy rotation on my iPod and has already hit the Top 25 Most Played list.



In other news, I signed up for eCopywriters.com and Words of Worth. They offer upfront pay. So hopefully I can get back to work soon. I just have to write some samples for them.

Also, I finished Susane Colasanti's ALL I NEED. I read mixed reviews about it and I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out.  I was so intrigued by the story, I finished it in a week. I read about 50 pages a night, so I forgot about TV.  I'm not obsessed with TV and there aren't many good shows on anymore.

I am starting to give up on New Girl. It annoys me that Winston doesn't have a real storyline. He just exists or pushed to the background. Winston, how long are you going to put up with that? NBC's Parenthood and Scandal have an interesting storyline.  Here's the problem.  They come on the same night and at the same time.  I have been alternating from week to week.  I'm not sure what to say about the Mindy Project these days.

Sometimes, I would rather cut the TV off and just read.  I often wonder if I could do without cable.  I mean you can watch your favorite shows online anyway. I think that it was a fortune cookie that said, "you don't know what you can do without unless you try".  I don't put a lot of stock into fortune cookies, but it makes a valid point.

This entry is super long.  Thank you for baring with me.

Have a good weekend everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment