Pages

Friday, October 11, 2013

The Friday Round Up


  1. I feel like I am trying to come down with a cold.  I hate getting colds because I constantly have to carry tissues around and when I blow my nose, I sound like an elephant.  I have been getting that dryness in my throat all week, so I decided to nip this in the bud and took some Day Quil.  I think it is working so far.  Sleeping in a sweatshirt helps sometimes too. 
  2. I mentioned last week that I did some work for a writing project.  My client (I have to get use to saying that) emailed and said that he was missing an article.  Um, how did that happened.  I sent all four Word documents to him again.  Anyway, he asked me to send an invoice via Pay Pal.  I have never sent an invoice before and was clueless to say the least. So I emailed my "client" and asked how to do this. Should I be embarrassed?  I guess this is what happens when you learn the ropes of the freelance life as you go.
  3. I have been trying to find more writing gigs because I don't know if the above mentioned writing project will be long term, short term, and on an as needed basis.  I decided to give Odesk another try.  I signed up with them two years ago. I applied for a few jobs and was rejected. I recently discovered why I was being rejected.  When you register and apply for jobs on Odesk, you need to pass tests before you get hired for work.  I have taken the Word 2003 and Word 2007 test and passed them. However, I failed the spelling test and the Odesk readiness test.  Seriously? I failed a spelling test?  And people are ALWAYS asking me to spell things. 
  4. My "to read" list keeps growing on Goodreads.  I have the urge to go book shopping. Oh dear.  The other day, I logged into B&N to check my virtual shopping bag and it was empty. I guess you can't hold items in there forever. I am on a tight budget right now, so running out to blow money at a bookstore is out of the question.  I read about this bookstore in Illinois who sells half priced books.  I would love to have a bookstore like that where I live.  I would go nuts in there and will need to invest in bookshelf or eReader or both.
  5. I would like to give a special shout out to my followers.  For the longest time I only had one follower (Celeste from Crazy Beautiful Unique) on this blog.  Then, last week, I noticed that I gained another follower: Ronni from Anywhere Is.  Thank you for your support. Sometimes, I think that no one pays attention to my posts, but then I am reminded of the counter on my blog. I am currently at 3,214 hits and counting.  Also, I have gained more followers on Twitter lately.  I mainly use Twitter for business rather than personal , and I honestly forget that I have a Twitter. (I may get a few eye rolls for that one).  I don't have time to sit on social media and chit chat or play games all day despite scarcity of work.  Again, thank you y'all so much for your support.  Who says social media is a waste of time?  If used in the right way and responsibly, it can be a helpful tool, especially for entrepreneurs out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment