Pages

Monday, October 7, 2013

30 Week Blog Challenge- Week 6: Favorite Songs

This week Marie from Mom Gets Real asks us to write about our favorite songs.

I started pre-writing this on Saturday. I saw that it was going to be an extremely long entry, so I decided just to hit the main points.

Next to books, music is my second love.  I can't imagine life without it.  I have always been surrounded by music. When I went to my grandparents' house, my uncles were playing their music.  At home, my dad played his tapes and in the car as well.  I even attempted to play the clarinet in middle school (sixth grade) but I lasted a year.

I got my first tape at seven years old.  It was Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814 album.  I got a CD player when I was 13, and owned an iPod at 25.

If someone listened to my iPod, they would be SHOCKED at what they will find. I have a mxture of music. In addition to R&B, there's pop, one country song, some rock, KPOP, and a lot of randomness.  It seems to be this unwritten rule that we are suppose to listen to what's expected of us.  Translation, blacks should listen to R&B, Rap, Hip Hop, and whites listen to country, pop, rock, metal, etc. Etc.  I have come to realize that you shouldn't limit yourself to certain genres just because.  Case and point, when I was nine years old, we went to Texas to visit my relatives.  My uncle and aunt played a Garth Brooks tape in the car.  WHAT Y'ALL LISTEN TO COUNTRY?

Fast forward to high school and my music tastes began to slowly change. This was during the late 1990's-early 2000's when Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, NSync, Backstreet Boys were on the scene. I listened to Britney, Christina, and J-Lo.  We only had ONE R&B station at the time, so I started listening to the "white station" or B93.7, the Top 40 station for more variety.  I began to learn about other music from them and my fellow classmates.

What are my favorite songs?  This is tough because there are so many, so I have to pull from my Top 25 Most  played playlist or songs that have been on heavy rotation.

"True"- Spandau Ballet

I have quite a bit of music from the 80's on my iPod. I think the 80's had the best songs EVER.  I discovered this song while watching VH1's 80's one hit wonder countdown.  This song is beautiful and it can take on so many meanings.  They were a one hit wonder here in the U.S. but HUGE in the U.K.  After searching around iTunes and YouTube, I discovered other songs by them that are pretty good.

"Nite and Day"- Al B. Sure!

Younger readers are probably saying WHAT or WHO?  First, this song is about a guy who is so in love.  I grew up during the New Jack Swing era which included Guy, Keith Sweat, and other people.  Al was at the height of popularity between 1988-1992 to my understanding.  So by the time I started getting into his music, his popularity was beginning to fade.  I found Al B. Sure's En Effect Mode album in a box of tapes at my house.  And I enjoyed it until the tape died. But now I have a digital version of the album.  My brother who is ten years younger than makes fun of me for this.  So when I roll my eyes at his music, he just says with a big smile, "It's better than listening to Al B.Sure."

"Dreaming of You"-Selena

I love this song.  I want to dance to this song at my wedding-if there is a wedding.  This is another thing I was introduced to when going to Texas.  In 1994, we went to Fiesta Texas and she was performing there. My parents have a photo but I have no idea where it's at.  My uncle danced with her on stage.  I honestly forgot about Selena until her death in 1995.

"Bohemian Rhapsody"-Queen

This is where the initial shock and randomness comes in. Some way or another, we have all been exposed to Queen songs through movies, TV, etc.  One day, I was riding in the car with friends and this song was playing.  It started out really sad but all of a suddenly, it gains so much energy.  I  like this part of the song because the visual is halarious, but that's my imagination.

"Thunderbolt and lightning,Very, very frightening me.(Galileo) Galileo.(Galileo) Galileo,Galileo FigaroMagnifico 
Easy come, easy go, will you let me go?Bismillah! No, we will not let you go.(Let him go!) Bismillah! We will not let you go.(Let him go!) Bismillah! We will not let you go.(Let me go) Will not let you go.(Let me go) Will not let you go.(Never, never, never let me go) Ah.No, no, no, no, no, no, no.(Oh, mama mia, mama mia) Mama mia, let me go.Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me, for me, for me."
 I wish I understood the real meaning behind this song.

"Brand New Me"-Alicia Keys

Yes, I do listen to current music, depending on who ist is.  To me, Brand New Me is about someone who finally has the courage to stand up for themselves, be their own person, not let people push them around.

"Fantastic Baby"-Big Bang

My friends introduced me to KPop last year.  What's nice about Kpop is that they sing in English and Korean.  I don't know Korean, so I don't know what they are saying until the chorus.  Anyway, this song just makes you want to get up and dance.

If I listed every single song, I will be here all day. Plus I don't want to bore y'all to death.

No comments:

Post a Comment