Pages

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

30 Week Blog Challenge: Week 5-Favorite Quotes

This week Marie from Mom Gets Real asks us to talk about our favorite quotes.  I had to really think about this.  I should be armed with intellectual quotes or some words of wisdom.  The best quotes come from books, movies, TV shows, and loved ones.

"What's done in the dark will come to light."
This is something my mom says sometimes and I have heard this quote from different people including Tyler Perry movies.  This quote means what it means-if you are doing something in secret, it will eventually come out and it won't be pretty.

"Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.  They somehow already know what you truly want to become." - Steve Jobs
I found this quote in Susane Colsanti's novel Take Me There.  We often hear people say "follow your heart."  Some might think that this is corny to say the least. What does this quote mean to me?  It takes courage to follow your dreams despite what people say and think.

"Take a chance honey."  -lady from subway in Comming to America.
This quote comes from 80's classic Comming to America.  There are times when you have to take chances and get out of our comfort zones.  We will miss out on a lot of opportunties if you don't take chances.  Fear is the one obstacle that will hold you back.  (That should be a quote in itself).

Over the years I had to learn some hard lessons.  I have also had to prove myself because I am physically challenged. One of the biggest challenges about being physically challenged is that people sometimes quickly  assume that you can't do something.  In other words, they are skeptical about giving you a task or think it's TOO HARD.  Here is my personal words of wisdom for anybody, not just the physically challenged community.

"If you don't take yourself seriously, how can you expect for others to do so."

When acheiving a goal in life, take it seriously and others will more likely follow suit.  In line with the above quote, I especially appreciate this one:

 "Never, never, never give up." -Winston Churchill

This blog is not for airing my dirty laundry but to offer inspiration.  This quote is special to me because I had to overcome road blocks.  For instance, during my senior year, I was at risk of not getting my diploma.  I had all my credits and passed my classes, BUT I needed to pass a portion of the Exit exam.  Unfortunately, some including teachers had already threw in the towel and given up.  In the meantime, I spent months taking practice tests in to prepare for the big day.  When I finally pased, all the nay saysers were SHOCKED.  The day after I received my results, a teacher aide informed me that those nay sayers didn't expect posstive results.  It's sad I know because we expect teachers to offer encouragement not discouragement.  (That sounds like another quote).  What's the lesson here?  I could had given up, and took the easy way out, but hung in for the long haul and succeeded.  My life could had been very different if I would had given up.


"But if you take a risk, you might just find what you are looking for." -Nicole from Take Me There by Susane Colasanti

If it's accomplishing a goal or finding love,  sometimes you have to take risks.

"You can choose your friends, but you can't choose your family." -Family member

My deceased great Uncle Walt use to say this.  You can pick and choose your friends, especially in the world of social media. You can easily add or delete them in a few clicks.  But when it comes to family-you are stuck with them, and can't hit the delete button when you feel like it. Sure, you can stop talking to them but you still share the same DNA.  When your friends are gone, all you have left is your family.

"Trash will get in your eye." -Family Member

This one comes from my great grandfather.  For years, I didn't understand what this meant, but now I have a clear understand.  "Trash"  could be mean something that can get in the way of our vission and because of this we will make unwise choices because the thing or "trash" that's in the way; well that's all we can see.


My great grandfather died when I was 3 or 4 years old, so I didn't get to know him. From the stories my mom tells me, he had a lot of wisdom.  Here's antoher famous line.

"Jealousy is a terrible thing." 

You might be thinking what?  When a person is envious of someone else's talents or possessions, it could lead them to who knows what.  The above two quotes may sound like old southern sayings, but pack alot of wisdom eventhough they take years and experiences to fully understand.

Well, it looks like I had more quotes to share than I thought.  What is your favorite quote?




No comments:

Post a Comment