Pages

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

30 Week Blog Challenge-Week 3: Favorite TV Shows

I know that I am late for the party on this blog challenge but after reading a post over at Anywhere Is, I decided to jump in anyway.  I need to make my blog more interesting so that more than one follower, you who you are, will read it.  However, I do receive a lot of random hits.

I'm legally blind and one of the questions I am often asked is, do I watch TV?  Duh,I do, but I'm not a TV addict, but I watch my share of reruns, Family Feud, and my favorite House Hunters and House Hunters International on HGTV.  Some may think that it is boring, but I find it interesting. Although I don't own a house, I figured that I can store away some facts and use them when I am ready.  When I go to look at apartments, I find myself thinking in house hunters' terms, especially using terms such as "dated".


These days, I really don't have a lot of favorite TV shows.  Last year, I discovered The Mondy Project, New Girl, and NBC's Parenthood.  I use to watch The Office from 2008-until it went off the air this year.  After Michael Scott aka Steve Carell left, I lost interest and sporadically watched the show.  I also watched The Carrie Diaries but I'm not sure if that will be coming back on the air. I can't even say if I like it.

I also watch The Game on BET.  Since Tia Mowry left, things aren't quite the same.

Ten years ago when my family switched to satellite, I discovered a Canadian TV show called Degrassi: The Next Generation.  This was the early days of Drake as Jimmy Brooks. What I loved about the show was the diversity. I use to park myself in front of the TV every Friday night.  The show had a plot, interesting characters, and storylines that had you hooked.  As time went by, characters moved on, went off to college, etc.  I got to a point where I became bored with the show.  Plus I'm too old to be watching high school dramas.  Besides things were getting too crazy for me. And I just didn't like the new characters.

I grew up during the 80's and 90's, I feel like there was more to watch on TV.  Also, there were more quality tv shows on the air; and parents could allow their children to watch them.  Growing up I watched Full House, Sandford & Son reruns, The Cosby Show, 227, A Different World, Amen, Family Matters, Martin, Hangin with Mr. Cooper, Growing Pains, Step by Step, and other shows.  I agree with Ronni from Anywhere Is.
"I think I get frustrated with TV now because it’s so homogenous. When I was growing up, there was a lot more diversity. Entire shows with casts of color and no stereotypical b.s.. Black people were professionals, their children were going to college, and the parents were active and caring for their children. Now, everything is quirky with a few actors of color on the fringes, with thinly veiled racism or stereotyping, and I’m so BORED with it. OR everything is paranormal and dark."
One particular show I can't stand is The Boondocks.  It is so stereotypical and I can't understand why people like it so much.  I also don't like reality shows where black women are depicted as stereotypical.
For instance, shows where they are constantly bickering and catfighting. This may increase ratings, but this can cause other cultures and ethnic groups to think that all black women are the same. Although I am black, that doesn't mean I have to support non sense.

 Back then, there shows that exhibited blacks in a more possitive light. The parents were professionals and the families were carring.  In 2011, there was a short lived sitcom on BET called Reed Between the Lines starring Tracee Ellis Ross and Malcolm Jamal Warner.  The show had an 80's sitcom feel to it, problems solved in 22 minutes.  I liked this show because it gave the African American family a possitive image for a change.  Although the Reed family was blended, they loved each other, but after one season it was gone.

I'm not too crazy about reality shows.  Back in the day I use to keep up MTV's The Real World.  I kept up with the show through my early 20's. I use to get excited about what city they were going to next. After awhile I lost interest.  Things were just getting out of hand.  I have no idea what season they're in right now.

There are very few reality shows I can tolerate. If it involved constant bickering and catfighting, I'm switching the channel.  When I get fustrated with TV, I pick up a book, listen to my iPod, or turn on an audiobook.  TV is not that imporant to me, it is a way to pass the time.

I know people who are into Doctor Who. I tried to watch an episode, but I was lost and bored.I may have nerd tendecies and considered a nerd by some, but I am not into science fiction. I have also heard a lot about Scandal starring Kerry Washington. I watched a few episodes during a marathon a few weeks ago. The storyline gets you hooked, but I haven't decided that if I like it yet and will keep watching it.




My all time favorite show is Gilmore Girls. My family doesn't understand why I watch it. I catch reruns here and there.  The show had crazy quirky characters and an interesting storyline. Plus Rory was really smart, a bookworm like myself (although she was more into classic literature), and an aspiring journalist. So I considered her to be interesting.

Last but not least, I am happy to see Arsenio Hall back on TV.  When his original show was on in 1988-1994, I use look forward to when school was out because my parents would allow me to stay up and watch it with them.  The show is still fun, funny, and exciting.  I have something to look forward to before going to sleep.

I know this post is long.  Hope you enjoyed it.  Please, don't be shy, leave a comment.

Have a great day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment