Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Ups and Downs of the Writing Life: Is It TIme to Say Goodbye to Knoji

I have been writing online since 2010, and I have learned a lot within the last three years.  There are many ups and downs of being a writer.  I started out writing for revenue sharing sites like Suite 101. My earnings greatly depended on if someone clicked on an ad.

Soon, I was tired of that and searched out upfront payment sites.  I actually started writing for Yahoo Voices before I was hired by Suite 101.  My upfront pay was only a few dollars per article, but not all articles qualified for upfront pay.  I was too ashamed to tell people how much I was earning.  Once again, I was on the hunt for better paying work.

I applied at Demad Studios, Break Studios, Wisegeek, and others but I was turned down.  I had signed up for Seed.com but my work was always rejected.  In 2011, I learned about Knoji formerly known as Factoidz.  I began contributing fact based articles to the site.  I earned a few dollars here and there. I soon discovered that I can earn more money by writing product reviews.  I thought I struck gold, and proudly told people that I was a writer and wrote product reviews for Knoji.

I started out earning $10 per review.  To writers who have been in this business for awhile may not exactly agree with this, but for a rookie like myself I was pleased.  As time went by, pay rates were getting lower and lower.  For instance the rates went down to $6-8.  I thought that this was okay so I kept on writing.  In April, the rates went down to $3-4.

This is where my writing life hit a dry spot.  Knoji was my primary source of income. Knoji wasn't paying the bills but it gave me money for food and transportation, and sometimes I could splurge on extras like books etc.  Sadly, I haven't been able to write reviews for Knoji because they took down the assignment section. WHAT?  NO!!!!!!!!!   I know the pay was lousy, but I miss the steady work.  I sign in everyday hoping that the assignments will return.  There has been alot of buzz in the forums about this.  Sadly, many writers feel that it may be time to move on.  Should I stay or should I go?

I can still contribute fact based articles if I wanted to, but they get very little traffic and pay.  I developed a niche for writing website and product reviews and promoted them on social media sites.  I earned more for reviews and received very high traffic.

It feels wierd not writing reviews this month. I only submitted one review which earned $3.  Sad, I know.  I have been spending my days searching the Internet for better paying sites.  I turned in a few applications to About, Love to Know, and Eduwriters.  I signed up for Skyword, but haven't received any work yet.
I have been with  Helium for two years, and their upfront pay $1-2.  Seriously, they aren't worth my time.

When I first started writing online, I was happy to see my name in pixels, but is no longer enough for me.  I accepted low paying work, but I know that I can do better.  Writing for below $5 is not worth it.  A lot of time and effort goes into writing articles, reviews, etc.  All of the research, editting, and writing is definately not worth a dollar.  I see many freelancers go on to writing books and bigger projects.

At some point I need to move on from writing web content and write a novel or something.  Five or even ten years from now, I don't want to be working for low paying markets.  Who knows what the future will hold. We will just have to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment