Pages

Monday, May 20, 2013

The Friday Round Up


  1. I have been trying to make an effort to write for other sites in which I have contributed to in the past.  For the last few months, I have put all of my energy into Knoji.  I have learned that it is not always good to put all of your eggs in one basket.  This week, I published two articles on Yahoo Voices, and submitted three articles to Helium.  I haven't published anything on Helium over a year or so.  Why?  The pay rate is $1-$2.  I am sure that many people would roll their eyes at me for doing so.  (I have some money that I need to get out of my account with them).  Let me explain.  When you write for Helium, you have to have $25 in your account before you can request a payout.  Yeah, that's a lot of time, research, and writing.  I have been seriously considering closing my account with them. 
  2. The other day, I was on iTunes looking for a 90's R&B all girl group called Black Girl.  Blank stare?  I understand.  Anyway, when I typed the name is the search engine, Black Girl Nerds podcast popped up.  This sounded interesting, so I clicked on it.  I downloaded a few episodes to see what they are all about.  Black Girl Nerds talk about pop culture subjects such as books, TV, movies, etc. Also, they talk about hot button topics such as interracial dating, and other serious topics  I found the podcast very interesting and worth downloading and listening to.  So what makes a person a nerd?  A friend once told me that she considered me a semi-nerd.  I am not your typical nerd.  I wasn't in the National Honor Society even though I did appear on the honor roll a few times through grade school.  However, my college transcript would not place me in the nerd category.  However, people considered me to be smart.  I'm not into anime or comics.  I do have a friend who is into anime and attends anime conventions.   But this is what I am into: I am an avid reader, enjoy listening to different types of music including KPOP, enjoy learning about different cultures, etc.  So maybe I am a semi-nerd.  Maybe I should pose this question to the nerds.
  3. I am starting to get fed up with content farming.  I have been doing this for three years and I didn't start bringing home a decent amount of money until last year.  When I first started, I was so embarrassed to say how much I made.  I would spend hours researching and writing to only earn a few dollars.  I am glad that I am doing content writing because it gives me clips, but it gets to a point where you need to move on and expand to another level.  I am seeking higher paying markets.  I focused all my energy writing website reviews for Knoji because I was being paid a decent amount of money.  This week it hit me when I received publication notices from the site.  I have received $3 for every review I have written this month.  I shook my head, I am doing all this work for $3?  Maybe things will improve and the rates will go back up.
  4. Okay, this post was originally written on Friday, May 17.  However, life got in the way and I didn't get back to this entry until tonight.  Here's an update.  I did some work for Helium.  I have published two articles today about the etiquette and customs of Egypt and France.
  5. One last note on the subject of nerds, I have discovered that there is more to being a nerd than academics.  There's the "cosplayer" which describes a dear friend of mine.  I fall into the "bookworm" category.  
Have a good evening everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment