Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

New Beginnings

Hello everyone and welcome to my new blog.   I have tried blogging before, but it didn't get a lot of attention.  I started a book review blog called Book Club of One a few years ago, but I stop posting a few months later.   I was inspired to try blogging again by a friend who blogs at ChibiLolita's All Kinds of Cute.  If you like unique handmade jewlery, be sure to stop by her blog and online store at etsy.com. 

I am currently a contributing writer for sites such as Suite101, Factoidz, Yahoo Contributor's Network, and Helium.  My goal here is to share comments about interesting facts I have learned, commentary on books I've read, and other random thoughts and observations. 

Why do I am calling this blog My So Called Wriitng Life?   I have been publishing online for almost two years.  Sometimes, I wonder when do you call yourself a professional writer?  Better yet, what qualifies a person to even label themselves as a writer?  Writing online has been an adventure for me.  If you are considering becoming a freelance writer or webo content writer, you should be aware that there is a lot of work involved. 

You must be willing to do research and proof read your work.  If you think reading over a draft a few times is going to cut it, you are wrong.  You have to make sure you pay attention to submission guidelines and important details like typos and punctuation.  It is also important to pay attention to grammar and sentence structure.  I had to suffer to consequences of this action last year.  After writing for Suite 101 for almost a year, my writing privileges were taken away.  I was upset, but after calming down, I knew good and well that I had no one to blame but myself.  Missing words, typos, and other small but important details will hurt your reputation as a writer.

Another lesson I had to learn about being a writer is that you are not going to make big bucks overnight.  I would read stories about people who made hundreds or sometimes thousands each month proving content on the web.  When I first started earning money for my work, I barely made lunch money.  Most of the sites I write for pay you residual pay.  In simplier terms, this means you are paid based on traffic and if someone clicks on your ads. 

Now, I have moved up to gas money status so to speak, but still feel embarrassed about how much I earn.  Maybe I just have a hard time explaining.  My goal as a writer is to not only entertain readers, but educate them. 

On a final note, I call this My So Called Writing Life because, not many people know that I write online.  Sure, I share my articles on Facebook and even set up a business page dedicated to sharing links to my latest articles.  However, sometimes I wonder if anyone is paying attention.  Every once in awhile someone will "like" or leave a comment about something I posted.  It seems that people only care about who's dating or cute baby pics.  Don't get me wrong, I love cute baby pics!  

I hope that you will enjoy this blog.

Have a good day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment