Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

Flashback Fridays: True by Spandau Ballet



I have been thinking and working on some fun ideas to add to this blog to make it more entertaining.  I read young adult authors Sarah Dessen's and Susane Colasanit's blogs on a regular basis.  They discuss fun entertaining stories and videos clips.  Sarah Dessen talks about pop culture and family life aside from her writing life.  So I am trying out a new idea called Flashback Fridays.  Here I will feature a song, TV show, or movie clip. So keep your ears and eyes open. 

A few months ago, I downloaded a popular 80's song called "True" by British band Spandau Ballet.  It has been sampled one way or another over the years.  For instance PM Dawn sampled it back in the 90's for their song "Set Adrift Memory Bliss," and in recent years Lioyd and L'l Wayne sampled it. 

I have heard this song a few times over the years.  The thing is, this song is as old as I am.   But now, since I have played this song practicly everyday on my iPod, and as I listen to the lyrics now, I have to wonder what is the meaning to this song.   

One of my favorite lines in this song is, "Why do I find it hard to write the next line?  Oh I want to the truth to be said."

Maybe the lead singer is talking about getting the courage to tell someone he is in love them, or needs to tell someone the truth about something.  On the other hand, there is another line that I never paid attention to all these years.  "With a thrill in my head....and a pill on my tongue......"  Could they be talking about drugs?   And what does he mean by "he bought a ticket to the world?"  This is just an observation.  Any ideas?

Despite these questions I have been wondering about, I still keep listening to solve this mystery. 

Have a good weekend everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment